Thursday, November 3, 2011

Review: Little Women and Me by: Lauren Baratz-Logsted

ReadingNook Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

I've always been a fan of the classic "Little Women", so as soon as I saw this this book was based off that, I knew that I needed to read it. The main character Emily gets a school assignment to pick her favorite book, and to write a paper about three things she loved about the book and one thing she'd change. She could only pick one thing though according to her teacher so she knew she had to choose wisely. Everything changed when she starts writing the paper and finds herself as a March sister sitting in their living room. What fan of reading wouldn't love a chance to be plopped into a book and to have an oppurtunity to change something? The premise of that is so cool.

The plot of the story at times dragged on a bit, but I loved the modern twist that Emily played in the role of Little Women, I felt like the time period rang true on both sides, and I loved how "modern" Emily slipped out a few times in the story, with words and phrases that weren't around back then. Emilys big struggle was figuring out what she wanted to change in the story and what her "purpose" was for being placed into the story. I don't want to spoil anything, but I loved the ending and the role that Amy ended up playing, and found that to be really unique and something I didn't see coming at all, and although the part with the teacher telling her to re-write her paper, confused me a bit (its been years since I read/watched Little Women) I also really like the twist that went into play there as well.

I think the book had a great message, that sometimes change isn't always best, death is inevididable, and love can overcome a lot. It was a cute, fun read, and fans of Little Woman, and fans of reading in general, I think would all really enjoy this novel. 


Little Women and Me is releasing on November 8th from Bloomsbury, you can order your copy HERE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment