Friday, January 27, 2012

Book Review: The Thorn and the Blossom by: Theodora Goss

Goodreads Summary: 


One enchanting romance. Two lovers keeping secrets. And a uniquely crafted book that binds their stories forever.

When Evelyn Morgan walked into the village bookstore, she didn’t know she would meet the love of her life. When Brendan Thorne handed her a medieval romance, he didn’t know it would change the course of his future. It was almost as if they were the cursed lovers in the old book itself . . .

The Thorn and the Blossom
 is a remarkable literary artifact: You can open the book in either direction to decide whether you’ll first read Brendan’s, or Evelyn’s account of the mysterious love affair. Choose a side, read it like a regular novel—and when you get to the end, you’ll find yourself at a whole new beginning.







My Review: 






ReadingNook Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


Quirk books have really raised the bar as far as the creativity of published books (They are the publishers behind Pride and Predjuidice and Zombies as well as Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children). This book is different then any other book i've ever seen in the respect that its made in accordian style, there is no spine to the book, and either way you flip the book tells the same story but from two different perspectives; Brendan and Evelyn.


I choose to start with Brendan's perspective, and the length of the book (total is just over 80 pages; about 40 per story) was something I felt worked for me, because the story is the same but from two different perspectives, I feel like a book larger in size would have dragged on and felt repetative and drab. I didn't feel that with this book, I felt like the perspectives were different enough that it only added to the story, and felt new instead of repeating a lot of minut details.

I didn't think the story was anything to jump up and down It wasn't bad by any means, but didn't blow me away, BUT on the other hand the creativity and uniqueness behind this book lead me to enjoy it more then I thought I might have. If your a fan of love stories, or novellas I would definitely check this one out, if not for anything but the creativity and uniqueness of the presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment