Monday, May 7, 2012

Book Review: Fever by: Lauren Destefano

Goodreads Summary: 

Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.

In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.


My Review: 

ReadingNook Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Wither by Lauren Destefano was a great book, but It wasn't my favorite. I had a hard time wrapping my head around the ideas of poligmy with the young age of the main characters, not that I was grossed out by it, just hard to be able to relate too. Fever on the other hand still had some risque ideals and situations but I enjoyed the story so much more. Rhine and Gabriel are at a carnival (and I say that very loosely) because its more of a whore house disguised as a carnival.

Everyone in this carnival type atmosphere is or seems to be drugged and that made the feel of this book very trippy, which was interesting to say the least. The start of the book for me seemed a big slow and I had to adjust to this new world they were thrown into especially because it was so different from the setting/world they were in in the first book.

I felt this book was a lot more fast-paced then the first and for that I loved the book, and of course the book ends on a nasty cliffhanger and I can't wait to see what world and scenerio the third book brings Rhine and Gabirel and if they ever find the infamous Rowan. Lauren Destefano has a writing style like no other young adult author I have ever read, and I honestly can't think of adult author that has a similar style either. She is very descriptive but in a way that isn't overkill, usually I hate overly descriptive writing styles, but Lauren does it in a way that is captivating instead of mundanel. If you havent picked up and read The Chemical Garden series what are you waiting for????

No comments:

Post a Comment