Friday, July 27, 2012

Book Review: The List by: Siobhan Vivian

Goodreads Summary: 






An intense look at the rules of high school attraction -- and the price that's paid for them.

It happens every year. A list is posted, and one girl from each grade is chosen as the prettiest, and another is chosen as the ugliest. Nobody knows who makes the list. It almost doesn't matter. The damage is done the minute it goes up.

This is the story of eight girls, freshman to senior, "pretty" and "ugly." And it's also the story of how we see ourselves, and how other people see us, and the tangled connection of the two











My Review: 








ReadingNook Rating: 3 out of 5 stars


The List By Siobhan Vivian was the first book i've read by her although I do have a few others on my TBR shelfs. I don't really know what I was expecting from this story as far as expectations go, but it fell a bit flat for me. I think I wanted more drama if that's possible, but felt that the drama that did ensue because of the list was very predictable. 

I understand why everyone was saying that it was hard to follow along with all the different perspectives that flipped back and forth. It took me a good 1/3 of the book to be able to figure out who was who without flipping back to the actual list in the start of the book, without that I think I would have even been more fustrated and probably would have put the book down, if I didn't have that reference to check back on. 

The characters were just ok, and most of them were borderline annoying and even the ones I thought I liked in the beginning of the book annoyed me by the end (Jennifer). I also felt like the story was a bit far-fetched in the respect that the list went on for as long as it did without having school authorities or parents intervene. I believe they said it's been at least six years with the list being a tradition, so I found it hard to believe that the new principal was the only one who tried (and I say that loosely) to figure out who was behind the infamous list. 


This book was just ok for me, I wouldn't say definitely don't read it, but it wasn't anything i'll be jumping up and down about to tell everyone to run out and grab a copy either. I still want to give Siobhan Vivian another chance becase I have heard great things about her, but this one just fell a bit short for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment