Monday, August 19, 2013

Review: Nothing More, Nothing Less By: Ashley Dukart

Goodreads Summary: 

When Brandon finds that his mother committed suicide, he blames himself for her decision. His guilt drives his young life into a downward spiral of drugs, drug dealing, and violent repercussions when his "business partners" don't get what they want. Haunted by the past memories he often relives. His Brothers, who don't always seem to understand him and what he's going through, desperately try to help, but as life becomes further entangled, will Brandon find the escape he so desperately needs before it's too late?













My Review: 





ReadingNook Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

I'm going to be completely honest and say that about 80 pages into this book, I was feeling very "meh" about it. I didn't have any emotional investment into any of the characters, and I was struggling to get through it. That being said as soon as Kristine's character came into the book, I started to feel more investment into the story. She made me care for her as well as care for the main character of Brandon, because of her and how he was towards her, it made me find a newfound respect for Brandon.

Drug addiction happens to the best of people, and the worst of people, but ultimately addiction can bring the best of people to the lowest of the low places, and this book certaintly shows that!! This book broke my heart many times over. I'm sure everyone has someone they know that has struggled with drugs or addiction of some sort, and because of that I feel like many people would be able to relate to the pain and suffering that addiction causes to not only the people doing drugs but also for everyone around them.

This book has SOOO many emotional hard hits for a 200 page book. With saying that at first I felt like it felt a bit forced, but by the end it showed me that thats ultimately what addiction does, it takes EVERYTHING for someone, and only until Brandon hit rock bottom did he see that he needed to break free from his addiction. The characters that made this book for me were definitely Kristine and Cole. Cole was Brandon's older brother and his unwavering love and support for Brandon was what made me connect with his character, and I think through them I grew to like Brandon's character more as well. They showed his potentional for who he was underneath the addiction.

If your a fan of addiction books, then this is definitely one you need to check out, this was hands down one of the most emotional addiction books i've read, nothing was sugar-coated, and it showed the pain and suffering of not only the addict but the people around them as well. This was Ashley Dukarts debut novel, and that being said I think this was very strong, and I almost wish It didn't end when it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment