Monday, February 24, 2014

Review: Cocktail Hour by: Tara McTiernan

Goodreads Summary: 

What if your friend - someone admired, envied, and fervently sought after by everyone who knew her - was really a dangerous sociopath?

Spring in glamorous uber-rich Fairfield County, Connecticut is a time of beginnings: a new diet for the approaching summer spent out on the yacht, fresh-faced interns being offered up at the office as the seasonal sacrifice to the gods of money, and corporate takeovers galore. Five women in their thirties have a brand-new friendship, too, one that's fed and watered regularly at local hotspots over cocktails. With all of their personal struggles - Lucie's new catering business is foundering due to vicious gossip, Kate's marriage is troubled due to an inability to conceive, Chelsea's series of misses in the romance department have led to frantic desperation, and Sharon's career problems are spinning out of control - the women look forward to a break and a drink and a chance to let their guards down with their friends. And letting their guards down is the last thing they should do in the kind of company they unknowingly keep with the fifth member of their cocktail-clique: Bianca Rossi, a woman who will stop at nothing to have it all.




My Review:


ReadingNook Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

At the time that Tara McTiernan asked me to read and review her newest story, I was working in Fairfield County. CT, so this book was fun and interesting to me. I knew many of the spots that she wrote about and many of the characters featured in her book, I could easily corrolate with someone that I knew in my real life, so that made the book that much more enjoyable for me.

I've always been a huge fan of chick-lit, and every once in a while I crave the girly, fashion-fueled, drama fests that are chick-lit novels, and I think when I read this one I wasn't in that mindset, which ultimately lead me to take a really long time to get through this book. It wasn't that it was bad AT ALL, but this book is so much more then a typical Chick-lit story, It was deeper then that, and had some real substance to it.

Although it took me a lot longer then it normally does to get through a book, I still really enjoyed this book in the end, it was fun and light-hearted at times, but serious and heart-felt in others, and if you are a fan of womens fiction or chick-lit I think you would really enjoy this story.



* I did receieve this book from the Author for free to read and review. The thoughts and opinions in this review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment