Saturday, September 22, 2012

Book Review: Butter by: Erin Jade Lange

Goodreads Summary: 


A lonely obese boy everyone calls "Butter" is about to make history. He is going to eat himself to death-live on the Internet-and everyone is invited to watch. When he first makes the announcement online to his classmates, Butter expects pity, insults, and possibly sheer indifference. What he gets are morbid cheerleaders rallying around his deadly plan. Yet as their dark encouragement grows, it begins to feel a lot like popularity. And that feels good. But what happens when Butter reaches his suicide deadline? Can he live with the fallout if he doesn't go through with his plans? With a deft hand, E.J. Lange allows readers to identify with both the bullies and the bullied in this all-consuming look at one teen's battle with himself. 




My Review: 



ReadingNook Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Butter tells the story of an obese teenage boy who's nicknamed Butter not only because of his size, but because he was hazed and forced to eat a stick of butter by a group of fellow classmates, and unfortunatley the name kinda stuck. I knew this was sure to be an emotional read, I myself am overweight and have dealt with it my entire life. I understand the self-loathing and the comfort that can be found in food. The well "i'm already big, what can this really do to me" mentality. 

I felt horrible for him, but probably related to him in a way that not everyone could. I was never teased the way Butter was in High School, I was friends with everyone, and was outgoing so I was always the "friend" while everyone swooned over my best friends. I felt his pain and his need to be accepted, and when he finds solice in Anna after she falls for his faux-persona via the internet, I understood his motive and his hope that she had fell for the person and could see past his size. Erin Jade Lange made Butter's character come to life, and honestly I think he's the most well-developed character i've read all year. My heart broke for Butter, and the devastating turn his live took in this book. This book is unique and powerful, and if your looking for a book to open your mind and your heart, give butter a try!!

No comments:

Post a Comment