Monday, September 24, 2012

Book Review: True Love Way By: Nancy Scrofano

Goodreads Summary: 

Marlo Spencer relishes all things retro. Old TV shows, classic movies, and even the collectible lunch boxes to go with them. In fact, she's quite cozy in her Malibu apartment, surrounded by her treasured knick-knacks and vintage memorabilia. It's her best friend, Nik, who doesn't get her fascination with all that "old junk," as he calls it. He especially doesn't understand why she's so keen to get back to their hometown of Napa when her high school sweetheart, Josh, suddenly returns after twelve years in Paris and nary a single phone call, eager to reunite with her. So, when Marlo heads up north to wine country to rekindle her relationship with Josh, Nik tags along, claiming he was already planning to visit his sister, Savannah, Marlo's gal pal. Once they reach Napa, however, dreams of a blissful reunion are shattered as old secrets and past betrayals are revealed, leaving an unsuspecting Marlo to pick up the pieces. Can she forgive and forget, or will true love find a different path to her heart?


My Review: 


ReadingNook Rating: 5 out of 5 stars


I have to be completely honest when I say that i've always had a soft-spot for self-published authors, or authors that publish through smaller, lesser known publishing houses, because I feel like every book deserves readers and attention esp. when an authors put their blood, sweat, and tears into it, and books like this always remind me why I will never lose this way of thinking. Sure, i've read quite a few self-pubbed books that completely flopped and did nothing for me, but for the past two years a few have made it into my top 10 books of the year list (and I have a few that I know will make it this year as well). Chick-Lit mainstream authors have let me down as of late, due to many of stories feeling cookie-cutter and dull, but have found a lot of refreshing self-published Chick-Lit's that have made me fall in love with the genre all over again.

I would be lying if I said that this book wasen't a bit predictable and within the first fifty pages I knew without a shadow of a doubt who Marlo would end up with in the end, BUT that being said the means in which she gets there, and the circumstances surrounding her decision I would never have seen coming in a million years!! I loved the romance in this book, and I loved the characters, they all had a real quality to them that made them likely and relatable. Although I have little to no interest in old classic movies or tv shows I loved the references in the book, and felt like that was something you don't see very often.

Nancy Scrofano created a great piece of fiction. I never lost interest in the characters and I found myself completely engrossed in the book (even in a noisey train). If your hesistant to read a self-published book, or a book from a lesser known publishing house, do yourself a favor and read this one, because It will change your outlook on the judgement that is constantly thrown in their direction. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about self published books and how some of them are SO AMAZING. Also, for the predictable-ness part.. most of chick-lits are predictable so its not about them being self-published.

    great review, I really want to check this book out, i haven't read a good chick-lit in ages.

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete